About Rainbow Street
Founded in 2014, Rainbow Street is a 501(c)(3) non-profit corporation based in the San Francisco Bay Area that provides critical assistance to LGBT individuals living in crisis in the Middle East and North Africa. Rainbow Street’s international volunteer staff provides case management for local LGBT community members and coordinates the disbursement of charitable funds to exceptionally vulnerable individuals in Jordan, Lebanon, and Tunisia.
Rainbow Street seeks 4-6 new Board Members who will push our organization into its next phase of sustainable development and programmatic expansion. Qualified individuals of all ages are encouraged to apply, especially those who identify as: women; people of color; forced migrants; transgender or gender-variant; lesbian, gay bisexual, queer, or other sexual minorities. Preference is given to applicants residing in the San Francisco Bay Area.
- Volunteer experience
- A demonstrated commitment to justice-driven work (as a professional or volunteer)
- Experience in one or more of the following:
- Financial stewardship
- Nonprofit leadership, development, and strategic planning
- Legal expertise (preferably in the areas of nonprofit and employment law, migration, human rights, or international contracts)
- Case management and trauma-informed care
- Provision of shelter and other critical services
- Communications and media management
- Volunteer management and/or community organizing
- Digital and physical security
- Regional knowledge of the Middle East and North Africa, including historical, political, cultural, sociological, or geographic knowledge.
- Arabic language expertise
- Attend bi-monthly board meetings and additional committee meetings. If residing outside the Bay Area, able to travel at least once annually for in-person board meeting.
- Meet a time commitment of 1-5 hours per week, with occasional weekly commitment greater than 5 hours, for a minimum 12-month term.
- Mentor Rainbow Street volunteer staff including Executive Director, Development Director, and Field Director, with a focus on organizational impact and longevity.
- Serve on one or more Board committees yet to be confirmed.
- Make Rainbow Street a personal philanthropic priority.
Those interested should send a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be accepted until all positions are filled. Unfortunately, we may not be able to respond to every applicant.
How to apply
Rainbow Street's Mission and Vision
Rainbow Street partners with local activists and care providers to develop immediate and long-term solutions for queer and trans communities in the Middle East and North Africa who experience systemic persecution and disenfranchisement due to perceived sexual orientation and gender expression.
Rainbow Street is creating a world where LGBT people everywhere are treated with dignity and compassion by all. We look forward to the day when LGBT voices are valued and celebrated across the globe at all levels of society, media, and politics.